Saturday, July 11, 2009

ooh la la... couture

I'm a little late on checking out the latest Fall 2009 couture shows. But better late than never right? (Side note: I stumbled upon some fabulous French radio station - I couldn't tell you which one as I don't have a digital tuner - but it's getting me in the mood. Now all I need is a baguette and a bottle of wine)

Alexis Mabille

Some of it was oh so pretty. I'm talking french countryside, ribbons, bows and lace pretty. But other pieces were far too kitschy bedroom frou frou with too many bows and feathers. Here are some of my favourites:


Armani Prive

1940's fabulous. Dark, sultry, sex appeal. Love. This is how I want to dress when I'm in my 40's. Or 50's... let's face it, 50 is the new 40. If I keep up with my new fitness regime, I'm well on my way to milfdom.

Chanel

I'm not sure about the Chanel collection this time around. The booties were far from sexy and the tweed suits were designed for the most conservative fashionistas around, and were heavy on the drab side. The loveliest accessories were the sexy patterned tights and the lacy fingerless gloves. I am adding gloves onto my wishlist - I don't care if they're a little too Like a Virgin Madonna. I have to say, as the show went on, the designs got more appealing (see the beauties below), but I certainly wouldn't label this as my favourite Chanel show.

I could picture someone like Belle de Jour wearing this getup:

Christian Dior

Oh Galliano. His designs are so distinctly Galliano. You can spot a Dior from miles away. This couture show didn't disappoint. Striking colours and 1940's glamour mixed with exposed garter belts and pointed bras. It was a Richard Avedon photoshoot come to life. As I clicked through the show images on Style.com each design popped out at me, nothing was boring, everything left me wanting to see more and more. By far my favourite show of the season.


Christian Lacroix

This was certainly less extravagant than shows past, but Christian Lacroix managed to show an alluring collection on what limited funds he had. But let's be honest, Lacroix can not show a collection that is completely void of the baubles and lavishness that is in his nature - there were still pieces in this show that would absolutely still appeal to Edina and Patsy. The wedding gown, in particular, was true Lacroix flamboyance.


Elie Saab

There are whisperings (and some booming voices) in the fashion world that Monsieur Saab may have paid too much attention to the Chanel show in January. An all white show? Again? Hmmm... suspicious. Much of the collection looked cheap and little too Snow Angel at Brandi's Show Lounge. But a few pieces caught my eye.


Givenchy

Of the small 22 look collection, I only liked this one design. Got to say, not a fan of Givenchy this season. I thought the collection lacked cohesiveness and there was nothing that tied it all together. Tisci was all over the place - next time, pick a theme and go with it.

Jean Paul Gaultier

After Galliano, this collection was one of my favourites. He depicted women as powerful beings, able to take over the world, let alone the bedroom. The Gaultier woman is not one to be messed with. I want it all! (Particularly for my looming LA trip).


Valentino

And last but not least... Valentino. Jumping on the black lace and bow bandwagon, the Valentino collection screamed sex appeal. Despite the absence of brilliant red, Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pier Paolo Piccioli are carrying on the legend's fire with this sultry and beautiful collection.

8 comments:

  1. all of them look great! :) adore christian dior, givenchy, and chanel couture collection for this fall! :))
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your choices, darling, especially Dior and that fantastic strapless Alexis Mabille!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picks! My fav was Dior as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the gaultier!

    and as for the swing club, it was incredible! i have never smiled so hard in my life

    thanks for visiting Fashion Handglide

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dresses are my weakness! I especially love the Dior pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. givenchy killed it...the best collection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE those top two looks...and that dip-dye Givenchy!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!